Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Cincinnati
If you just bought your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for your family. You might be considering how you might customize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you give thought to home security too. Keeping the ones you care about shielded from harm should always be a leading priority, and we’ll help you do so with our safety tips for new homeowners in Cincinnati.
Conduct a safety audit of your new Cincinnati property
Now that you’re considering safety, see what your new home already has. First, make certain you have operational fire alarms. Inspect each one and change batteries if required. Do you have CO detectors? Do you need a water sensor downstairs? This is also an excellent time to update door locks and check all window locks. Go room-by-room and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Cincinnati home
Once you’ve done your preliminary investigation of locks and safety alarms, you should look into elevating your protection. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Cincinnati.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the best tools for new homeowners in Cincinnati is a home security system. The latest in wireless advancements let you keep a close watch on your residence even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You can review real-time video feeds, operate door locks, and even speak with guests on your front steps straight from your smartphone. You can custom-tailor your system with worthwhile security features such as video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your outside lighting. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are an effective way to discourage prospective intruders. You can even incorporate them with outdoor cameras. When a motion detector is tripped, it can instruct your surveillance to record.
- Keep your premises neat. Can you see all of your property from the interior? Are there overgrown shrubs and trees obstructing the view? Eliminate possible hiding spots for trespassers by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Make friends with people in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people close to you, they’ll be more prone to advise you if they discern suspicious activity. You can also join your area’s social media presence if one is created.
- Benefit from home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re on site by illuminating smart lighting at programmed moments. This is a great option when you’re at work or on vacation.